Outlook and Vision
Motivation：Aligning with "Taiwan's Southbound Policy", the Department will leverage the domestic excellent research and development capabilities of academia for academic interactions with Southeast Asian Countries. By doing this, besides academic relationship development, this will be beneficial to Taiwan's science and technology industry when it comes to the entrance to the Southeast Asian market in the future. Approach：It is planned to establish cooperation relationship with Southeast Asian countries in the form of research projects, including bilateral visits and seminars. This encourages the academic community to cooperate with industry. Research Issues： Four cooperative research topics, Disaster Prevention, Environmental Protection, ICT, and Energy, are selected and beneficial to society. They will not only improve the people’s lives in Southeast Asian countries, but also aid Taiwan's industry in expanding into the local market in the future.
1. Rivers and branches are densely distributed across Taiwan and other similar Southeast Asian countries, leading to a large number of highway bridges. This research applies wireless communication technology to collect monitoring data in order to enhance bridge structure safety.
2. Many Southeast Asian countries suffer from river pollution, insufficient waste and waste gas treatment facilities, and soil and groundwater pollution. Taiwan has advanced environmental technology and commercialized experiences to assist these countries in developing corresponding technologies.
3. Taiwan has outstanding achievements on both network infrastructure and ICT industrial development. Through the research collaborations, we can exchange our achievements with researchers and experts in Southeast Asian countries, and develop ICT technologies for smart city and economic growth.
4. Southeast Asian countries are uniquely endowed with wind, hydraulic or solar energy resources. Green energy technology can be used to improve life in the remote area or islands.
Academic Cooperation：Corporate channels and academic relationships will be established by research projects. Research will align with the direction of "New Southbound Policy's five flagship projects" of the Executive Yuan. Bilateral Visit：Get to know academic team members, academic energy, laboratory equipment, industry status, and market needs mutually. Elite Recruitment and Training: Recruit postgraduate students or postdoctoral scholars from Southeast Asian countries to participate in research projects for future cooperation. Seminar：Exchange research results and experiences for more cooperation
Expenditure：NT$20 Million/ Year
Period：2017/06/01 ~ 2019/05/30 (Two-Year Term)
Implementation：22 related research projects are approved, including 9 integrated research projects and 13 individual research projects.
Cooperation Countries：6 Southeast Asian countries work together, including Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore
Implementing Agencies：13 domestic universities are included, such as National Taiwan University, National Tsing Hua University, National Chiao Tung University, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, National Taipei University of Technology, National Central University, National Sun Yat-Sen University, National Chung Hsing University, National Chiayi University, Chung Shan Medical University, Chung Yuan Christian University, Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology, and Chaoyang University of Technology
II. Research Highlights
Remote Care System for Pregnant Women
Easy to use wearable device for physiological monitoring of pregnant women. Remote Transmission via TVWS for control and monitoring. Remote consultation platform for quick feedback.
DR/AMD detection based on deep learning (DL) models (Fig. 1), where DL models and data security for medical images have been licensed to fundus image makers for automatic disease detection/analysis in general screening. ECG signal detection and identification (Fig. 2), where ECG data have been analyzed for early detection of heart diseases and identification for remote diagnosis. EEG signal detection and diagnosis (Fig. 3), where EEG data have been analyzed for seizure detection with power optimization to extend battery life.
Southbound International Cooperation of Innovation and Intelligent Application (Indonesia, Vietnam)
1. Smart Industry and Smart City are the main scope of current development in this center, with various background involved in.
2. Aim to build a digital fusion environment that is integration of Internet of Things and Blockchain system.
3. Strong cooperation with many research center or school in Taiwan and abroad.
4. Developed a Smart Campus environment which include several projects inside, such as smart energy management, smart dispenser, smart environmental sensing system, smart crowdsourcing system, smart parking system, smart elevator system, smart traffic system, etc.
5. Involved on IoT projects with some companies and created smart solar farm, smart building, smart street light, and fleet management system.
An international Partnership in Agriculture, Climate and Environment (iPACE)Roadmap to successful Taiwan (NCHU)-USU- Southeast Asia academic collaborations
1. Sixteen USU faculty members visited NCHU in 2018 to attend the joint Faculty Workshop between NCHU's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources and USU's College of Agriculture and Applied Science to building a sustainable partnership.
2. NCHU/USU sign iPACE center agreement. iPACE promises to be an innovative forum of education, research, and professional development for USU, NCHU and Southeast Asia in the fields of agriculture, climate and environment.
3. MOU: Chulalongkorn University/ Khon Kaen University/ King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi
Creation of a disposable microfluidic micro-mixer chip
1. After Professor Pin-Chuan Chen visited Thailand and met with Professor Yingyot Aueulan, they decided the research direction of the first year.
2. In the first year (2017.06 - 2018.05), successfully designed and fabricated a disposable microfluidic micro-mixer chip by using a micro-milling machine. This microfluidic micro-mixer can promote a uniform mixing for the bio/chemical experiments.
3. Besides the successfully set up a communication platform for students from both countries to learn from each other, this research also discovered a novel method to fabricate microfluidic chip on polymeric substrates, and we hope more research outcome will be presented after second –year project.
Strengthening cooperation and cultivating teachers of Indonesian universities to promote exchanges using information technology projects
1.Chaoyang University of Science and Technology signed a cooperation agreement with Satya Wacana Christian University in Indonesia to establish a cooperative relationship. 2.The cooperation agreement includes (1) exchange of students and teachers (2) joint research activities (3) participation in seminars and academic conferences (4) exchange of academic materials and other information (5) special short-term academic courses. 3.At present, a teacher at the school, Hendry, is attending a doctoral degree at the school. He also obtained a doctoral degree in June 2018.
The best Electrical Engineering in Indonesia's University- Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) professor Trio Adiono visited
Prof. Trio Adiono with the Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), was invited to visit Taipei, Taiwan on March , 2018. Professor Boqi Chen and some Indonesian foreign students from NTUST served as the local host. During Prof. Adiono’s visiting in Taipei, many professors from NTU and NTUST have many chances to meet with him and discuss the cooperation possibility in the future. In the end, an agreement is accomplished that Prof. Adiono will nominate Prof. Shenyuan Liu with the Dept. of Electrical Engineering of the National Taiwan University for the World Class Professor project sponsored by the Ministry of Education of Indonesia. It will promote the future research cooperation between Taiwan and Indonesia.
Smart Farming and Cross-Field Cooperation
1. An intelligent crop growth monitoring and control platform for smart farming has been successfully developed at CYCU and tested at ICDF agriculture station, Lembang, Indonesia. (Fig.1, 2)
2. Professor Chung offered four invited talks related to smart farming research and microelectronics to BINUS University and ITB, he also proposed dual-degree Master programs for Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology, Microelectronics and IoT related fields. (Fig.3, 4)
3. Young talent exchanged activities including CYCU students' attending summer school on "IoT Product Design and Data Analytic" offered by ITB and Three Indonesia students will start the Ph.D. and M.S. program at CYCU, they will focus on smart farming research in Electronic Engineering and Bio-Environmental Engineering in Fall 2018.
Joint design optimization of power dispatch and storage sizing and placement in networks with renewable generations
1. Automatic control of systems with renewables for long-term profitability using reinforcement learning methods
2. Loss minimization and hosting capacity maximization with adaptive network reconfiguration.
3. Smart grid studies on Taiwan and Thailand distribution networks
III. Related Project Links
- The Applications of Smart Home and Healthcare Based on the Integration of Iot and Big Data Analysis
- Iot-Based Home Care System: Network Architecture, Service Functionality, and Prototype Implementation
- Intelligent Bio-Signal Detection Devices for Mobile Health-Care Applications
- Cooperation with the University of Science, Malaysia: Research on the Optimization Strategy of Micro-Grid Based Energy Management System
- Development of Portable and Disposable Medical Microfluidic Chip by Micro Machining( I )
- The Implementation of Evidence-Based Cdss for Gynecologic Cancer in Northern Thailand-- Contributions to International Efforts
- Development of a Remote Physiological Monitoring System for Pregnant Woman Care
- Active and Reactive Power Control for Grid-Tied Bidirectional Inverter
- Control of Distributed Power Converter Systems with Battery Input or Ac Grid Input
- The Study Ot Pollution, Remedimation, Environmental Law System of Soil and Groundwater
- Ultra High Sensitivity Fet-Based Sensors and System for Real-Time Monitoring Heavy Metal Ion Contamination in River and Underground Water
- Research on Key Infrastructure Technologies for Smart City Applications
- Resource Allocation and Optimization of the Random Access Channels for Nb-Iot
- Big Data Analytics for Optimizing Dynamic Adjusted Vehicle Routing Problem in Supply Chain Network
- Intelligent Sensing System Based on Deep Learning
- High Efficiency Bidirectional Dc-Dc Converters for Dc Micro-Grid System
- Low Power Temperature and Voltage Sensor with Optional On-Chip Solar Cell for Battery Charger and Environment Monitoring
- Development of Micro-Climate Based Intelligent Iot Monitoring and Control Platform for New Agriculture Technology
- A Study on Distributed Control Scheme for Enhancing Distribution Network Self-Healing
- Joint Design Optimization of Power Dispatch and Storage Sizing and Placement in Networks with Renewable Generations
- Study on Battery Management System for Energy Storage of Micro-Grid
- Developing Techniques for Forest Biometrics Evaluation Using Sentinel-2 Images – a Pilot Study for Achieving Sustainability of VI etnam Mekong Delta Wetland Forests